Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Peacock Feather



'Be who you were created to be, and you will set the world on fire.'  
 -  St., Catherine of Sienna

I hope you enjoyed your weekend, ours here in the  US was a long weekend.  We did some work around the house and some shopping, IKEA and antique shopping. 

IKEA is huge.  We went in for picture frames and came out with a lot more.  We saw good deals and things we needed and put them all in the cart, backtracking is not an option in IKEA.  Megan, my daughter, suggested we 'go through' the cart before we get to the cashier to make sure we really wanted everything we threw in.  (She is getting smart.)  We ended up ditching a few things we thought we couldn't live without only an hour before.  Did I mention we were in IKEA 3 hours?

Our antique shopping was much shorter than the IKEA marathon.  Megan found an old key.   I found a white cabinet door, crackling, peeling and chipping... perfect.  I hope to take pictures with the door as the background this week.


I took these peacock feather photos a few weeks ago.  I just got around to post processing them yesterday.  I played with the images a little in Lightroom and added 2 of Kim Klassen's textures, waterfront7 magic, in screen mode, and painterly.  I do love the 'canvas' effect the waterfront7 magic in screen mode gives a black background, a little faint here but still visible.  The painterly texture, in soft light mode, lightened up the feather just a touch.   

The quote above was one I have never come across before, I liked it.  I thought it fit for a picture of a peacock feather because the male peacock seems to enjoy showing who he was created to be.

Today I am linking up with KIm Klassen's Tuesday Texture. 
Thanks for stopping by!
Have a great week!
Michelle

Kim Klassen dot com

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun outing, IKEA is 45min from me through some of the worse traffic Phoenix has to offer so I don't get there often, I have a reminder to go next year close to Christmas as I want some of the lace pot holders I think are made out of paper. I have wanted them every year but always forget about them until after Christmas. It is easy to do stay there for 3 hours, I usually have a plan and get in and out. Beautiful peacock feather, really like it with the text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand how you can spend 3 hours in IKEA and yes back tracking is not an option....Great editing on the peacock feather; so much beautiful texture and color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't peacock feathers amazing, though? Several years ago, I purchased some to photograph. As for IKEA...I've been twice ---once in Portland, Oregon and once in Red Hook, Brooklyn. I would love to go again! (I like the idea of your vintage cabinet door...I need more photo props. I'm asking brother in law and nephew about barn wood.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quote is just perfect Michelle, and especially with the peacock feathers - which are so beautiful I haven't seen a peacock in ages...we don't go to the zoo. I've never made it to IKEA, but see lots of wonderful things...the antique store sounds like it was worth your time especially since you found a chippy old door! I can't wait to see it in your photos soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is why I don't go there. So many temptations! Love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband goes pale whenever I mention IKEA. Love your work so striking..

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a good thing our IKEA is over an hour away or I would be there more often. To answer your question from my post this morning - I use intentional camera movement to blur the photos. Something I've been practicing for a few years, and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous images - you've captured such brilliant color and texture. I love IKEA too! My IKEA is less than 20 mins away - and next to the Mall of America, sometimes we hit both in one day (quite a workout!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. 3 hours sounds about right for IKEA. Since we only go about every 2-3 years, we must make the most of it when we are there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband hasn't been persuaded to go to IKEA yet, even though there is a new (ish ) one fairly near where we live. He loves the antique mall though, so I'm not really complaining ! Love your beautiful peacock feathers, such glorious colors !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had a closer IKEA. It is about a 3.5 hour drive away. Beatiful peacock feather. I used to use them for tying fishing flies. They give a wonderful iridescence to the fly body.

    ReplyDelete
  12. IKEA is a such an experience, isn't it! I can't wait to see your white chippy cabinet door! Love the peacock feather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the bright colors in those peacock feathers...really stunning and so many ways to enjoy them...it is a beautiful quote and I had not heard of it before either...a great choice for your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michelle, Wow, the peacock feather images are so artful - perfect with the quote. I'm always drawn to your photos first, but then I genuinely enjoy reading about your life. The little adventures like a trip to IKEA or a hunt for antiques bring me into your life - and I love every minute! Oh, thanks also for your advice regarding the Waterfront texture - I'll try your suggestion.

    ReplyDelete