Pages

Friday, February 9, 2018

Red Velvet Cake



"I don't know what's more exhausting about parenting: the getting up early, or acting like you know what you're doing."  -  Jim Gaffigan, actor and comedian



Me:  What are you doing?
Megan: Baking a cake
Me:  What?  Is the house on fire?!?
Megan:  Don't be rude


I am blessed with one great kid.

But I do have to admit, I am overprotective and also tend to do too much for her.  I find these traits show up a lot in moms with only one kid.  We want so badly to protect them and care for them, we end up over doing it.  I am slowly learning no one and nothing will ever be perfect, especially with parenting.  I can only do my best and grow from there.  

Which brings me back to the text message conversation above...

Megan has NEVER baked a cake.  If she would have asked, I would have said to wait until her dad and I got home to make the cake, despite the fact she is plenty old enough to bake by herself.

So what goes through my over-protective and over-worrying mind when I read the text message?  Oh yum, Megan will have cake ready for us when we get home...ah...NO!  More like...what kind of mess will be in my kitchen to clean up?  I hope she doesn't get distracted and forget the cake is in the oven and burn down the house...


By the time John and I made it home the cake was baked, dishes cleaned and the house wasn't on fire.  I definitely need to let go and not worry so much.  I also need to realize, I do a few things right once in a while too.

If you were wondering...the cake was delicious. :)


Thank you for stopping by!
Have a great day and stay warm!

Michelle


12 comments:

  1. I am in the same stage with my grandkids....thinking they are just not ready to do the things they want to do...My grand daughter who is 11 loves to bake and I am always thinking of the mess she's going to make, which she usually does, instead of encouraging her to 'go for it' One day recently, I just wasn't feeling up to snuff and she wanted to make me a smoothie....I said sure...that would be wonderful and you know it was delicious and after some encouraging words, she did clean up the kitchen....Don't be hard on yourself...most of us are guilty....I hope you have a great weekend....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often heard about Red Velvet Cake, but never eaten it! I've always wondered what gave it its red colour!
    Well done, Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to Megan - and to you, too! I feel that parenting is more of an art than a science - no definitive rights and wrongs, here. Megan sounds like a great kid, and I have no doubt that you get things right more often than you don't. I know I made my share of mistakes - but just keep plugging away. The bad news - that worry - it never ends and then starts all over with the grandbabies. But I wouldn't trade it. And then there's Red Velvet Cake!!! Yum - what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a mom of a only child, an only girl, I get this. My guess is you have raised her well, she is bright and responsible, and loved. I would never worry about Mallory making a cake, she is a way better baker than I am :) As far as, doing too much for her, that will never change, trust me. I still do her laundry and she is 24 and lives on her own, but she doesn't have a washer and dryer in her apartment, so I pick it up, wash it, and return it, when I get Fin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since there are only crumbs, it must have been really good. I love your bowl and plate, and the fork is soooo cool! Letting go, especially of kids/grandkids, is difficult. And yet, we all must do it. To me, the older they get, the more difficult it is. So, let's all have more cake, we'll feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, am the mom of an only child and also a girl. I myself was raised by a mom who did way too much for me and I was trying to raise my daughter to be way more independent than I was. I think I succeeded in this, but I made tons of other mistakes. I don't think there is parenting without making mistakes. The worry will never stop, that has been a lifelong "gift" we got along with out kids. It sometimes prevents us from letting go - pretty difficult, isn't it?

    That cake must have been delicious. What a lovely daughter you have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our oldest grands just turned 15 and are getting their learners permits today. PopPop and I are terrified! I think I'm more protective of the Grands than I was of our children. It looks like her first attempt at baking was a huge success.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our kids do surprise us once in awhile, don't they? What a nice thought for Megan to bake a cake, and red velvet, YUMMY! I appreciate your honest words here, Michelle, about the worry that crossed your mind when she was baking and you weren't home. When my son bakes, I often check the oven before I go to bed. ; )

    Happy Valentine's Day.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning Michelle, happened upon your blog again, from a friends comment. So glad I did, I always loved your photography before I lost you. How I can relate with this post. My grands are getting older especially one, soon to be a teen next year. Her parents are letting her stay at home by herself for very short errand trips while they are away. I knew this was coming but I always worry when she is home by herself. Guess that is a parents, grandma's job. How sweet is this post, love that fork. Now you have a beautiful record of this memory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely idea Megan had to surprise you with a cake ... I can see it was delicious, so nice you enjoyed it ! :-)
    Thanks for sharing your story, Michelle !
    Happy Valentine's Day !
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made me smile with this story but it definitely rings a bell. :) I have two boys but the worries are the same, one just needs to learn and trust when appropriate (which is sometimes hard to guess).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well the cake certainly looks like it was very good. Only a few crumbs left on that plate. Sometimes we don't give our kids enough credit and when they decide to do something on their own we are surprised at how well they can do. I'm sure she will surprise more often in the future...the tug of war of parenting, especilary of girls. What a nice post Michelle.

    ReplyDelete