Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2016

A Little Tart



"The whole world is an art gallery when you're mindful.  There are beautiful things everywhere and they're free."  -  Charles Tart


It all started with the pears...
their color and shape were begging to be photographed.  As I was gathering my 'props' for pictures I remembered my cast iron skillet...then it dawned on me...I could cook in the skillet too.  :)  Some research on the internet and my little tart recipe was born.

It is simple.  There are not many spices, if you like a lot of flavor I suggest you add more, maybe some ginger.  The premade refrigerated Pillsbury pie crust in the red box works great for this tart.  If you don't have a cast iron skillet, no worries, a baking sheet with parchment paper should do the trick. (I didn't try the baking sheet with parchment paper, I read it on the internet.  If you try it that way let me know how it worked. :)  




A Little Tart
from the kitchen of Michelle at www.kneedeepindandelions.blogspot.com

1 refrigerated premade piecrust
4 pears - peeled, sliced in thin slices about 1/4 inch thick
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch (flour would work in a pinch)
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
Any other seasoning you think my work
Toppings (optional, see below)

Preheat oven to 375° F
·       Set the piecrust out according to the directions on the box. 
Meanwhile...
·       Peel and slice pears, placing them in a medium size bowl.
·       Toss pears with lemon juice.
·       Mix in the cornstarch, brown sugar, cinnamon and other spices you may add, until evenly coated.
·       Roll out the piecrust to make a 11 inch  circle.  (My cast iron skillet was 9 inches.)
·       Place the crust in a cast iron skillet or on a parchment lined baking sheet. 
·       Place the pear mixture in the middle of the crust, leaving about 2 inches of the crust bare.
·       Fold the crust over the pears leaving a large hole for the pears to peak out.
·       Bake at 375° F for approximately 35-40 minutes.  Since every oven is different, check at 25-30 minutes to make sure it isn't over browning.  When the tart is a light golden brown and bubbly it is finished. 
·       Let it sit for a few minutes to cool off before serving.  The tart tastes best eaten the day it is cooked.

Possible toppings...
·       A scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of whipped cream
·       A drizzle of caramel, chocolate, or maybe honey.
·       What about a caramel cream sauce...


If you make the little tart let me know how it worked out and any changes you made.  I would love to know.  :)  I feel recipes are more like guidelines, I always change them up a little to fit my families tastes, and mine, next time I am planning to make the tart with apples.  Enjoy!

Thank you so much for stopping by!
Have a great day!
Michelle



8 comments:

  1. I shouldn't be looking at this I really shouldn't! I love any kind of pie especially in an iron skillet. Brings back such memories of my childhood. The reason I shouldn't be looking is I have fasting blood work in an hour and I could eat a cow right now plus I haven't had my coffee and what better way to eat this with a good cup of coffee. :)

    Love fall and love this image would love it better if I didn't want to lick the computer right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo! that sounds really good. I have seen this recipe with apples but not pears. I love the roll out crusts. I freeze apples mixed with cinnamon and sugar and then just haul the bags out, roll out that crust and voila..apple pie quickly. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't you know I just bought a cast iron skillet! (I love your photos, by the way.) This simple recipe sounds just yummy. Bob and I are watching our diet, but a small treat each day is definitely OK! I guess we'd have to skip the ice cream though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that little tart looks so delicious, Michelle !
    And the way you've captured it ... so beautiful and inviting, love it !
    Thanks for sharing the recipe :-)
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous shot, Michelle. And if I could have a regular crust I would be down with making this. I love the cast iron skillet and this is a great way to use it. Have a good weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks delicious and another great use for my cast iron skillet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum!! I was thinking apples while I was reading about pears...mostly because I usually have apples. I've been wanting to try a tart especially because I love the fruit more than the crust. Oh, and I almost always change up the recipe with something uncalled for, or amount. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM YUM YUM!!! I've never made a tart like this...I know there are gluten free crusts now...so maybe, I'll just have to revisit this post!

    ReplyDelete