Pages

Friday, April 10, 2015

Road Trip



'Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.'  -  Lovelle Drachman
'The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.'  -  St. Augustine
'The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.'  -  G. K. Chesterton


road trip
noun
1.  A social experiment placing people, for a designated period of time, into a metal capsule and hurling it 70 mph down the interstate.  The outcome can be good or bad, or both.


We took a road trip.

The week before Easter we drove to Washington D.C., our nation's capital.  It was my first time.  

We did all the usual museums, the National Museum of Natural History being my favorite.  They had a wonderful National Geographic photography exhibit, of course each image was spectacular.  (I did notice there were many more Canon cameras used than Nikons, since I am a Nikon girl this has me wondering...) 


Megan's favorite was the National Postal Museum.  (I bet you didn't even know there was one.)  She loved all the stamps and the history.  They had letters addressed by Ben Franklin and the brown wrapping paper with stamps that covered the Hope Diamond's box as it was mailed to the Smithsonian.  Yep... they used the US Postal service to mail the Hope Diamond to the Smithsonian. 
  
John's favorite?  I am not sure.  It was his second visit to the city and he was preoccupied with the car and it's service engine light which lit up on the way to D. C.  

The famous cherry blossoms were not in bloom, although the gift shops had plenty of pink blossomed souvenirs to bring home.  I always look for pens, not expensive ones, just the cheap pens by the cash register.  Like looking at a photograph, my pen collection brings up good memories of trips while doing daily tasks like creating a grocery list, or simply writing a note.  I like to buy coasters for the same reason.  Right now my coffee is sitting on a Sloppy Joe's coaster from a very, very long road trip to Key West, Florida.  


On road trips, along with our clothing we pack our usual behavior.  We have fun, but there are also some complaints, I'm hungry, my feet hurt, I'm cold, I'm hot...  even Siri was a little uncooperative at times.  We argue occasionally.  Wish someone would just ________ instead of ________. (fill in the blanks)  But isn't that what road trips are all about?  Spending time together and remembering, even though we can irritate each other, family is the most important thing we have.  They are there through it all.  We are connected in a way we can't be connected to anyone else.   When you get down to it, family is family and exploring with them is the best way to do it.  Who else would take goofy selfies with you anyway?  

Today I am joining Kim Klassen's Friday Finds.  My vase photos are textured with Kim's texture avery.  I found my little vase at the Smithsonian Institution Building, The Castle.  The road trip photographs were taken with my iphone.

Thank you so much for stopping by!
Have a great weekend!
Michelle

Kim Klassen dot com

11 comments:

  1. I love your group selfie! So perfect. I am sure our dynamics are similar to yours with a family of three. The postal museum sounds great, all that ephemera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the perfect family road trip to me :) love your selfie, and the little vase you found - so cute with the single sunflower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! There's nothing we love more than a family road trip - having just hurtled through France to get home to Spain. I love how you described yours: it sounded so very much like our own. And you really made me chuckle with that little bit of history about how the Hope Diamond got to the Smithsonian. Brilliant! They really must have lived in a more innocent age ... . And the family selfie is great: a perfect souvenir photo that will make you smile even more than the lovely coasters and pens. Have a brilliant weekend and thanks for sharing your super travelogue, Bonny

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty vase you've found, Michelle, perfect for those lovely sunflowers !
    Gorgeous captures too !
    Sounds like you all had a great road trip ! :-)
    Have a nice weekend,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great trip what a great trip. I remember our first family trip to DC. We went from snow storms in PA to tulips and sunshine inDC. It was the first time it dawned on me that while we were having winter in spring in the south they were having summer in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The smithsonian is on my bucket list! Your photos are beautiful and family just can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle, I love the little sunflowers and both of the arrangements with the vase, beautiful images.

    Your trip must have been packed with lots of impressions and feelings and information. I love what you said about "On road trips, along with our clothing we pack our usual behavior." I used to make that mistake that when going on a trip with my family, especially with regard to our children, I expected their behaviour would be different but it wasn't and I used to be disappointed. Gradually I learned that they wouldn't change just because we went somewhere but I still loved them and that helped me to deal with that. I'm happy now we have so many memories shared... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a great trip, Michelle! :) Washington D.C. is such a charming place, I am sorry you missed the gorgeous cherry blossoms, but I am glad you all had fun, as we can see from your beautiful group selfie. I've been in D.C. many times, but no, I didn't know of the National Postal Museum, such a pity. Your mini sunflowers are simply stunning, love them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous photography!
    I hope you'll come share at this week's Wordless Wednesday (on Tuesday) here:
    http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/04/cat-on-ladder.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love road trips --complaints from the kids and all! I'm glad you had a wonderful time in DC.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love the vase you have...I imagine we will see if now and then in your other stills. Your DC trip sounds so wonderful, and it's always a treat to get away from the normal home routine and explore. Happy weekend Michelle!!

    ReplyDelete