Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2016

The Desert



"I don't see the desert as barren at all; I see it as full and ripe.  It doesn't need to be flattered with rain.  It certainly needs rain, but it does with what it has, and creates amazing beauty."  -  Joy Harjo

The first time I visited the desert I was in my early 20's...and I didn't like it.



I was born and raised in the Midwest, corn country, really flat land, and also really green land in the spring, summer and fall.  Winter was a different story, if the land wasn't covered in white it was brown.  Brown to me meant nothing living, or growing.  

When I first saw the desert I saw only the brown sand and pale green cactus, there may have been other colors but they were not as vibrant as I was use to.  I really didn't think much of anything could live there, how wrong I was...  


My next visit to the desert I started to look closer and began to see its beauty and wonderfully balanced ecosystem.  The plants and animals that make the desert home are quite resilient creatures...really just being themselves...exactly where they belong.

Now I love the desert and its inhabitants...although I wouldn't want to see a rattlesnake. :)

I wish I could tell you these photographs were taken in the desert, but they weren't.  I was visiting Krohn Conservatory in Cincinnati, Ohio last week and had fun with my macro lens in the desert room...while wishing I was actually in the desert... 

Thank you for stopping by!
Have a great day!

Michelle

8 comments:

  1. The desert room looks like an interesting place to visit, Michelle !
    Your photos are gorgeous ... and though you were not in the desert they could have been taken there ...
    Have a nice evening,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just love cactus and succulents. I would love to see the desert up close and personal. Love the close shots. I could see them as large canvas photographs on a wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how they are so abstract and rather geometric, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really pretty Michelle, especially love how your vision on that second image. I think it just depends on where you grew up as to what type of landscape appeals to you. I grew up with mountains and have always had mountains to view. I don't think I could live without seeing mountains. While I hate the summers here, the weather is pretty sweet at this time of year so it is a trade off no matter where you live. Have a perfect weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least the desert rooms are usually warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a CA transplant so I never saw a desert until well into my 30's. Like you, I saw brown and overgrown cacti. But it's a big part of geography in our schools and now I see deserts in a completely different light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it nice that we can visit different terrains without having to go in person....Your photographs are perfect and certainly reflect the desert. All parts of this country have their own special gifts if only we look....Merry Christmas....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you even make the desert look lovely with your sweet pictures. :)

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete