Pages

Monday, November 6, 2017

Cauliflower



"Vegetables are a must on a diet.  I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie"  -  Jim Davis


"Aren't they beautiful?" The off-the-clock employee commented, as she stopped to admire them with me on her way out the door.


"Yes, I have never seen them like this before."

We were standing in front of the cauliflower, their heads nestled in the display case with orange rubber bands holding their leaves up like a ponytail.  The photo opportunities were running through my mind...

"They are huge.  I filled two, gallon Ziploc bags full."

"How do they taste?" I ask, pretending like that is the first thing on my mind.

"Delicious."

Later in my shopping trip, as I was squatting down looking at the bottom row of magazines, another lady saw the cauliflower in my cart...  

"Those came in a few days ago, I haven't bought one yet, but I love how they look."

"Me too."

The cauliflower was delicious.  I roasted it.  All I did was put the cauliflower on a cookie sheet and tossed it together with a few cloves of garlic, fresh thyme, salt and pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.  I put the whole combination in the oven at 400° Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, flipped everything over then put it back in until it was finished, about 10 minutes later (checking every so often just in case). 

I wish I had a picture of the roasted cauliflower, but when my hungry people are waiting they aren't very patient.  :)

Today I am joining Sarah at Paisley Rain Boots and Leon at Sea Blue Lens for Scene and Story, where we share a favorite picture from the previous month and the story behind it.  

Thanks so much for stopping by!
Have a beautiful day!
And remember to eat your veggies. :)

Michelle 



12 comments:

  1. Well, that cauliflower is so prettily presented (including the 'ponytail') that I can understand why you wanted to purchase it. The way you roasted it made it sound very delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was about 3 or 4, I spent the night at my grandmother's home. She steamed a cauliflower and added cheese sauce to it. To this day...more than 60 years later, every time I see a cauliflower I remember my grandmother. Thanks for the memory. Thanks for the suggestion to roast a cauliflower too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your description of your shopping experience with the cauliflower. I roast it too, adding Turmeric, which gives it a lovely color and great flavor. Learned that one at the Farmer's Market this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the way the cauliflower looks! In my supermarket, the heads are wrapped - sans leaves - in plastic. You did a beautiful job of photographing and making what might otherwise be an ordinary shopping experience into something fun and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, I’ve never seen cauliflower presented this way. Beauty in the photo and yummy in the tummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The platter, the table, the light, and the cauliflower are all so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so cozy and warm, and knowing you roasted the cauliflower. I can imagine the roasted colors and the flavor. Your table and dish are gorgeous props!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cauliflowers with "ponytails" held by orange rubber bands, what a sight it must have been in the display case. Very inspiring idea! :) I'm going to try that roasted cauliflower you prepared, I always prepare a cauliflower by boiling it in water and then frying it or stir-frying with eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen them like this in the shops either ...
    Love cauliflower and your recipe sounds delicious, Michelle !
    Interesting quote too :-)
    Have a lovely week,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sound of that roasted cauliflower. I’m going to try it. Your story dragged me in right away. The quote... just wonderful Michelle. Sounds just like the diet I’m on.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the story. The fact that you encountered two people who enjoyed the presentation of the cauliflower like you did is a gift! (Cauliflower doesn't like my stomach much otherwise, roasted would sound delicious.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the photo - the old platter against the rustic wood is the perfect frame for the cauliflower in all her glory. I also loved your description of the leaves done up like a ponytail. That was a great analogy! Our cauliflower comes like Karen's, shorn of leaves and wrapped in plastic. But I'll be remembering yours when I try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete