Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Dad


"You will be blessed the moment you realize you already are."  -  Bryant McGill


I am blessed.


Those three words aren't usually spoken by an eighty one year old man who has been given a diagnosis with only one month to live, but my dad repeated them often in his last few weeks...and he truly meant it.

He looked back over the years and could see how each decision and event shaped the course of his life. Some things were wonderful, others he didn't like at all and would have never chosen for himself, but he could now see how it all unfolded just right and brought him to the family, friends and life he loved. 

He taught me to trust that everything will always work out...perfectly.


His last weeks had some hard moments, but the time will always hold a special place in my heart.  My family and I knew our time was limited with dad and we cherished it.  I am also glad I had the opportunity to tell him thanks for being my dad, something I feel I never said enough...

I am blessed to have a dad I love and miss, and a family he and my mom nurtured and grew into the loving family we are. 


I am sharing this with you today to remind you to cherish every moment with your loved ones.  Somehow we, myself included, all walk around thinking we have an unlimited supply of tomorrows, but we really don't.  I am grateful for the extra time my family and I had to hear my dad's wishes, to talk and just be there...and tell him I loved him many more times. 


Tell those you love, you love them... 
And remember to see the blessings in your life...

Michelle



5 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad, Michelle. This is a beautiful tribute to him. Sincere condolences for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so sorry, Michelle. It’s so hard to loose someone you love. I am also thinking how wonderful it was for your dad to reach 81 years old and looking back, feeling blessed, know he had lived his life well. You’re right, there are limited tomorrow’s. Living each day the best we can is so important- and knowing we’re blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Michelle, I am so sorry for the loss of your father. But it is a blessing to have the time to say the things that matter, both for him and for you. Every time someone I know passes too soon, I make a mental note that I don't want to have regrets about the things I didn't do. Send hugs your way <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to talk about your dad. I love that first photo of your family and your dad sounded so wise and loving and also much loved. Beautiful soft images to go with your touching words. You are blessed. I still say goodnight to my own dad when I go to bed at night - and I also remember other members of the family that are no longer here. I tell them all that they're not forgotten!

    ReplyDelete