Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2018

Ohio Rocks!


"One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." -  Henry Miller


I bought a new book.



That shouldn't surprise anybody who knows me, but it was a first.  It was the first geological book I had ever bought.  The book is Ohio Rocks! A Guide to Geologic Sites in the Buckeye State by Albert B. Dickas.


The book shows places in Ohio which have interesting geological formations.  I was hooked.  No, not for all the wonderful facts about the geological formations, but for the photo opportunities... of course.  :)


Some of the sites don't seem to have much to photograph, but most do look like it would be fun to visit.  A few are places we hadn't thought about in a while and are even close to home.


John and I took a Sunday drive a few weeks ago and went to a place we hadn't been in a long time, Caesar Creek spillway.  It is a favorite elementary school field trip location to search for fossils.  The book says there are several types of fossils which can be found there, four species of coral, nine species of bryozoans, and twenty-four species of brachiopods.  I found...none.  But that's ok, I was more interested in the landscape that reminded me of a dessert, especially on that 90+ degree day.


I will let you know when we visit another 'geological site'.  :)


I want to thank you guys for your warm comments and emails about my dad passing this summer.  It was very sweet of you and I appreciate it a lot.

Thanks so much for stopping by!
Have a great day!

Michelle




8 comments:

  1. I love your capture of those pink flowers in the fourth photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful, Michelle! Thanks for sharing these!! :) The pink flowers in the 4th image look like orchids! Wishing you well. Here's to more adventures that inspire us!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, these 90+ degree days, I am so over them. Thankfully last night it was in the 50's, and it never made it out of the 60's today. To me this is heaven! Love your take on rocks. That is the most wonderful thing about photography there is always something new to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice to see you in my mailbox today Michelle. Your flowers are lovely. I agree with the others on that pink one. So pretty and the composition shows of the budding and the flower. I'm glad you have something new to look forward to. We all need that as the seasons change....
    Thanks for sharing your thoughs on this new place to discover...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your posts is always a delight Michelle....you have such an array of interests, and finds. Visiting places about rock formations is quite interesting, and you finding flowers to photograph is even better! They are all beautiful, and it made for a fun outing for you two. My cousin is a geologist of some kind, and it's interesting to listen to him tell "why the earth is formed in 'this way or that way' ". I'm relieved to have 90 degrees + temps gone. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it lovely how we are tempted to do something new - in this case buying this book which causes you to go to new places or revisit old ones. Those flowers are beautiful and your photography is exquisite.
    I'm sorry about the loss of your dad. It's hard to lose our parents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice outing you had with your husband, and you found some interesting looking flowers. I love the last one, so unusual and pretty. That would be fun to search for fossils and coral at the site. I remember the old field trips, and we once took one to a large field looking for wildflowers that grew. Then we pressed them and kept them in a book that we made. We never forget the field trips we go on as a child. I'm glad you found a new book that you love, Michelle.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting way to discover places to visit. I never would have thought of it - and yet... The wildflowers are beautiful, and I think I would enjoy looking for fossils!

    ReplyDelete