Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2019

A Good Deal


"The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can ever find them.  The hunt to uncover those jewels - that's the creative living.  The courage to go on that hunt in the first place - that's what separates a mundane existence from a more enchanted one."  -  Elizabeth Gilbert

"Whatever it is you are pursuing, be careful not to quit too soon."  -  Elizabeth Gilbert


I love getting good deals.


My husband, John, likes to go to estate sales.  He is usually on the hunt for tools.  I tag along and wander around the estate sale looking to see what might catch my eye: unique jewelry, something I would use for a photo prop, or possibly something I never knew existed.  

I have actually been trying to clear clutter out of our house, so I am not very interested in bringing more into our house.  But occasionally I find something I just can't live without...


A few weeks ago, I found this small old wardrobe with drawers on the last day of an estate sale...and they were willing to deal.  I bought it.  

Despite the fact I was breaking the rule of no-more-furniture, John willingly helped me wrestle the heavy wardrobe upstairs and into 'my room'.  (I commandeered our guest bedroom a few years ago, replacing the bed with a table, desk and shelves for photography props.  Our guests now sleep on the sofa...sorry mom.)  

I spent time figuring out where to put the wardrobe and what would go in it.  I went through my photo props and backgrounds deciding what should stay, what could go and what would be put inside the wardrobe.  It felt good to clear out and straighten up.   

Going through all of my photography props sparked my creativity again.  I have had a bit of a dry spell at the end of last year.  I just wasn't feeling creative.  But rustling through my stuff got new ideas flowing and the urge to pick up my camera more often, not just for inside work but outside too.

I got a good deal on a wardrobe and it was just the right thing to spark my creativity again.

Have you found any good deals at a flea market or estate sale?  I would love to hear about it.  :)

Thanks so much for stopping by!
Have a great day!

Michelle




8 comments:

  1. I love the colour of the wood and the lighting on that recently purchased wardrobe! I can understand why you wanted to bring it home!
    I have no space left at all in my small apartment for anything new in the way of furniture and only replace used items as needed. I do like to browse old tablecloths, preferably embroidered, in flea markets though and have also come back with a retro vase or something small that speaks to me! I love Art Nouveau style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lost interest in doing stills for my favorite of photographing flowers. Went back to my love. Stills never felt right for me although I love seeing what others do. I have been doing another clear out thanks to Marie Kondo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have a great space to store your props now. I found an old green trunk with patina that I love. It fit perfectly above a wood box at the end of the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you focused on something besides the wardrobe in these photos. It made me try harder to see the new (old) piece of furniture. I am determined not to find anything I want to bring into the house permanently. I have my mind set on subtracting, not adding. That said, I'm sure I could break my rule if I found something wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love browsing the antique shops and actually had my own little booth of vintage goodies to sell at one time. Beautiful images, Michelle. Keep ‘em coming!! (:
    xo, Barb L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice when we find just the right piece to put in our home. I like the color of the wood. How creative to go to flea markets and look for photo props and unique things. That's a good idea. This wardrobe looks like the old ones where the clothes hang on one side and drawers on the other. I love those and don't see them any more. Now, comes the fun part deciding what to put in it. : )

    Wishing you wonderful February days to come.

    ~Sheri

    ps....I always love the quotes you share, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was more than a good deal if it helped put that creative spark back! I love the thought that you took the guest room. Are the quotes from Big Magic? I started it but didn’t finish and keep meaning to borrow it again.

    ReplyDelete