Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2019

More Than Expected


"...life inevitably throws us curve balls, unexpected circumstances that remind us to expect the unexpected."  -  Carre Otis

I really can't remember the last time a snow fall here has been higher than my hiking boots.



They downgraded our snowfall amount to 1 - 3 inches.  I was a little skeptical and cancelled our driving plans...I was glad I did.


We ended up with way more than they expected, about 11 inches of heavy, wet snow.  Beautiful...just not good for traveling.


It wasn't terribly cold.  When the snow stopped, I went out with my camera.  My bare fingers did get chilly, but a well timed hot-flash warmed me up quickly. :)


I found a tree and a bush who couldn't quite let go of their last leaves...


The empty bird feeder was full of snow.


Since we were staying at home, we somehow decided to tackle cleaning out a walk-in closet.  There was so much more in there than I expected.  It was like a walk down memory lane looking at the old toys and clothes.  Megan, my daughter, was really good about getting rid of things.  It's me who gets emotionally attached, especially when the stories start flowing.  We laughed, tears streaming, belly hurting laughs.  It was really nice to relive some of those memories again.  


I'm being brave this year and growing out my grey hair.  My Hair Lady thought highlighting it would be best way to blend in the grey with my natural color rather than a straight, obvious transition line.  My hair is much lighter with the highlights.  It's a big change.  There is also more grey hair than I expected.  (Why does grey hair always grow where it is most obvious, right in front and down the part?)  I knew there was a lot, but wow.  I guess the grey hair is just what comes along with all the wisdom of my years. :)
 

I hope you have found more than you expected this week...all in good ways.

Thanks for stopping by!
Have a great day!

Michelle


5 comments:

  1. That is a lot of lovely snow and it's so beautiful!
    I know exactly the feelings you must have experienced going through old things with your daughter. I'm more emotionally attached those sorts of things, more so than my children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got snow! Your pictures show all the beauty from this white wonderland, especially those leaf photos. I bet the birds didn't like that empty bird feeder, but I'm sure they will have their fill soon. That's great that you got a chance to clean out the closet, and how nice that you and your daughter got to spend time together while doing so, laughing and reminiscing. I get sentimental as well when looking at old toys and notes and cards. Your photos today are quite lovely, Michelle, and we don't get snow here where I live, so it was a treat for me. That picture of the fence and snow is gorgeous.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny about cleaning out closets and attics and basements. I was much more sentimental about my children's things than they were. They each had a couple of dolls they cared about - and that was about it.

    I think your snow is headed our way. We're supposed to get a little tomorrow and then a bigger storm on Saturday. I'm kind of looking forward to it. I'm hoping for a day of being snowbound!

    Wow - growing out the gray - I am impressed!! I am not nearly that brave, yet - although I do think about it sometimes. I've seen a lot of stunning looking women sporting gray hair. I can't help but think it would be liberating to not have all the regular upkeep. Maybe I'll join you in this someday in the not-too-distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, These chilly white landscapes are so pure and lovely. Good luck with the gray. I stopped coloring mine when I turned 50 and never looked back. Did you know it's fashionable for young people to dye their hair gray now? We're trendsetters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful photos of your snow and leftover leaves Michelle. We also got snow this week but beautiful I could go out and take a few pretty shots, the freezing rain came and now all the snow is just stuck. Horribly cold here also.
    I totally get the grey hair and unexpected changes. My hair is more white than grey so soon I will let go of the coloring except my hair person says that the color gives your hair body so we shall see.
    Enjoy your week and I hope you continue to work with the unexpected. After all that is just life stopping by.

    ReplyDelete