Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Ranunculus


"The difference between school and life?  In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test.  In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson."  -  Tom Bodett


"I like the contrast." Megan, my teenage daughter, commented after I showed her two photographs I took of ranunculus flowers.



She continued, "I like how in the darker picture you have the flowers drooping over, like they are sad.  And in the lighter picture the flowers are straight, like they are happy."


After thinking for a minute I reply, "Well...you know how in English class when your teacher is explaining the significance of tiny details in a book you are reading, and you wonder if the writer intended to create the mood with the dark blue window curtains...or if they just liked blue curtains?  I didn't intend to create the mood with how I placed the flowers, I just liked how they looked.  But I will keep that in mind..."

"I hate English."

And the discussion was over... :)


I stayed indoors earlier this week playing with ranunculus flowers in my spare minutes.  It was cold.  We had rain, sleet and snow in the past week or so.  Yesterday we had a little reprieve from the cold and I worked in the yard!  It was so nice to be able to enjoy the outside temperature.  I am really looking forward to warmer weather everyday. 


I hope you are seeing spring in your neck of the woods.

Thanks so much for stopping by!
Have a great day!
Michelle



8 comments:

  1. Lovely captures of these beautiful flowers, Michelle. I just love all those layers of petals and the colour is beautiful! I love the quotation too! It's so true that life gives us many lessons to learn! I hope your warmer weather will soon arrive. It's almost too warm here suddenly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, don't you love the name Ranunculus? Such a big name for a small flower! I love the quote and was thinking along these same lines this morning. My oldest Grands are 15 and so piled with work at school that I want to tell them to learn some lessons by living life too. Sometimes, I think the life lessons are the ones that really teach us if we're willing to learn from them. (And I was once a teacher...) Your stills of the flower are lovely. Do you hand-hold the camera or use a tripod? We continue to have snow here at high altitude. However, next week we leave for the beach - yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This apricot color is the most delicious color, whether against a black or white background. No Ranunculus to be found here yet. Spring...it just keeps going one step forward, and three steps backward. I laughed when I saw a post saying "it's really January 96th"! Hoping your spring isn't too far off either. Gorgeous flowers! Thanks for sharing, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, Michelle! I love that first image! Reminds me of the great still life Renaissance paintings! Gorgeous set!! :) Thank you for sharing. Enjoy your weekend and the sunshine! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the contrast - and the teaching moment. I suspect the lesson will stick in your daughter's mind. Spring... I am assuming it will get here someday. For now, I am enjoying a little sunshine, even if I am unable to find my garden through the piles of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I love that quote, so true isn't it? Such a rich color and I love how your daughter saw what she perceived in your images. Photography is what we see as a taker and as an observer what they see. So beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my what lovely shots! And hopefully Spring is here to stay this time! Old man winter has been abit too clingy this year! And I love that quote! Have a fine day! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first flower I grew in my garden was the Ranunculus. I love this flower, Michelle. And your photos are wonderful. You can see the tiny details in the close up. And such a soft pretty color. The Tom Bodett quote is true, isn't it?

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete