Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2018

I Judge A Book By It's Cover


"Your assumptions are your windows on the world.  Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in."  -  Isaac Asimov


I hate to admit it...but I do.


I judge a book by its cover...and also by the style and  quality of the pictures.

I realized this as I was standing at the grocery store paging through the new cookbook Magnolia Table, by  Joanna Gaines.

Even before reading the recipes...I was checking out the pictures.  Were the pictures light,  or dark and moody?  What backgrounds did they use?  Were the pictures pretty?

The cookbook was beautiful, of course.   I decided it was a keeper. 

Some of the other cookbooks I love to look through?  The Homemade Kitchen, Food Health and Happiness and It's All Easy.  These cookbooks don't just have pictures of food, they also have pictures of kitchens, life and fun stuff too.


I wonder how many good books I have missed by just looking at the cover, not even cracking it open, and deciding it wasn't for me?  Maybe I should start keeping a more open mind...possibly on more things than just cookbooks too...

I haven't tried a recipe in Magnolia Table yet, I will let you know when I do.  :)

P.S.  I just read at Amazon's website, one reviewer for Magnolia Table said the edition sold at Target has a few more recipes.  I don't know if that is true, but worth checking out if you are considering buying the cookbook.

Thanks so much for stopping by!
Have a great day!

Michelle



9 comments:

  1. Nice pictures to illustrate your thoughts! As for judging a book by its cover. It's a tempting thing to do, but I do rather judge a cookbook by what's actually inside and the more photos of the finished dishes, the better!
    I can't imagine what sort of cooking Gwyneth Paltrow does, she looks so undernourished herself, but then maybe I'm judging her cooking ability by her looks and that simply doesn't mean a thing, does it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your images are wonderful and worthy for any book photography. Yeah aren't we supposed to buy cookbooks for the photography? 😂😂😂❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Initially, at least, I will judge a book by its cover. I used to not do this with novels, but with all artwork and graphics involved, the cover often says a lot about what is inside. I especially love books with good photography. I will be curious to hear how the recipes are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also judge books by there cover and think it's a great way to find a good book. LOL I have not seen Magnolia Table yet but I do subscribe to the Magnolia magazine and I just got a subscription for my daughter...the magazine is amazing. I'm sure you will love the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes!!! And the title too! ;) Love your dramatic lighting in these images! I just keep staring at them! The textures and simplicity are all so lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oddly, I just a book from the title, then the cover. Sometimes they give the same message. Such a beautiful succulent to photograph with dark background - very classy! I do not have Joanna's cookbook, yet. I'm sure it is full of yummy recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely judge a book by its cover, or at least I let the cover attract me. But thank goodness for Goodreads too, where I can see friends, especially friends with similar tastes in books, how they rated a book. Catching up from being on vacation. I will be emailing you soon in response to your email, sorry for the delay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do too, Michelle !
    And I love the pretty pictures and beautiful layout !
    I have a lot of cookbooks and have never cooked a recipe from many of them ...
    oh my ! :-)
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete